• 1 cup wheat flour
• 3 tsp oil
• Pinch of salt
• 1/3 cup water – you may need to add a little more or less
1. Mix the flour and salt together.
2. Make a well in the centre and add the oil and water. Mix together and then knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and soft. If there is time leave the dough for 20-30minutes.
3. Make 1 inch balls of the dough.
4. Take a ball, dip in a little more wheat flour and flatten the ball between the palms.
5. Roll out with a rolling pin.
6. Place the rolled out chapatti on the hot plate/frying pan and roast the first side for ten seconds.
7. Turnover and roast the other side until brown spots appear.
8. Take it off the frying pan and place on the open flame of the burner on the first side (the less cooked side) It should puff up due to the rapid heating and release of vapour from the water in the dough which becomes trapped in the chapatti.)
9. Once it has puffed up flick it off the burner and place in a container lined with a towel. Cover with the towel to keep warm. The towel will prevent the chapattis from getting wet from their own evaporation or becoming dry from the air.