Idli can be eaten as breakfast or as lunch as is best with mixed vegetable sambhar and coconut chutney.
• 1 cup Black gram dal/ urid dal
• 1 cup ground rice
• Water - enough to soak the ingredients
• Salt to taste
1. Soak the urid dal in water for 3 hours or overnight then strain and grind to a paste in a blender or food processor.
2. Meanwhile, separately soak the ground rice for the same time. Grind to a paste.
3. Add these two together and stir well.
4. Let this mixture stand overnight or for 6-7 hrs. It will start to bubble and ferment.
5. Then add salt, finely chopped vegetables if desired such as tomato, carrot and green pepper and stir.
6. Spoon into Idly steamer trays and steam for 20 minutes.
*You can get idli steamer trays from Indian food stores. If you can’t find them you may be able to use other metal moulds.