Khichadi is a very simple dish to make that is extremely easy to digest and the best food to eat when you have been sick, need to clean your digestive system or have practiced the master cleanse.
· 1 cup rice
· ½ cup mung dal
· 3 cups water approximately – the amount will vary depending on if you want it soupy or more dry.
· Any spices to taste - depending on the reason for eating (if its master cleanse then no spice)eg. Pinch turmeric, ¼ tsp cumin seeds, pinch asafoetida, ¼ tsp coriander powder
· Salt to taste
1. Mix dal and rice and wash it 2-3 times prior to cooking.
2. Place water, rice and dal in the pressure cooker or in a pot with a lid.
3. Add any spices and salt.
4. Cover and bring to boil and simmer until both the dal and rice are cooked. It should take about 15-20 minutes from boiling but will vary depending on how soft you want the rice to be.
5. Serve with a spoonful of ghee.
* Other lentils can be used (though not as easily digestible) plus other grains can be used such as millet, cracked wheat etc. Experiment!