- 1/2 cup thick pohe - flattened rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 pinches turmeric
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 5‐6 curry leaves
- Handful peanuts – optional
- 1 1/2 cups vegetables - chopped - eg potato, carrot, cabbage, cauliflower, tomato
- Sugar and salt to taste
- Fresh grated coconut (dried is ok if fresh is not available)
- Lemon juice
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
1. Clean the pohe and add water. Drain and leave for 5 mins.
2. Meanwhile heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they pop add the cumin, then the turmeric, asafoetida, curry leaves and peanuts. Be careful not to burn the peanuts.
3. Add the vegetables plus sugar and salt to taste. Cover and let them steam till cooked, stirring occasionally.
4. Add pohe, stir and cover for another 5-7 mins.
5. Serve with coriander leaves, fresh coconut and lemon juice.