• ½ cup vegetables – chopped – such as carrot, cabbage, cauliflower, green pepper, peas, potato
• 1/2 tsp ginger
• 1/2 cup rice
• 2 cups water
• 1 tsp oil
• 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
• Salt to taste
• ½ cinnamon stick
• 4-5 cloves – whole
• 1 green cardamom – split or 6-7 cardamon seeds
1. Chop all the vegetables.
2. Heat oil and add cumin seeds, then ginger. Cook for one minute.
3. Add all the vegetables, rice and fry until the rice starts to brown.
4. Add water and salt. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until cooked.
Optional: So many different things can be added to a pulao such as roasted paneer or tofu, coriander leaves, bay leaves, raisins or other dried fruits, cashew nuts or other nuts.
*To add colour saffron or turmeric can be added.