• 1 cup rice
• ½ cup mung dal or other lentils or sprouted beans
• 3 cups water – the amount will vary depending on if you want it soupy or more dry.
• ½ tsp cumin seeds
• 5-6 curry leaves - optional
• Pinch asafoetida
• ¼ tsp turmeric
• 1/8 tsp chilli powder
• ½ tsp coriander powder
• Salt to taste
• 1 cup vegetables – chopped – such as potato, carrots, cauliflower, pumpkin, peas, sweetcorn
1. Mix dal and rice and wash it 2-3 times prior to cooking.
2. Place water, rice and dal in the pressure cooker or in a pot with a lid.
3. Add the spices, vegetables and salt.
4. Cover and bring to boil and simmer until both the dal and rice are cooked. It should take about 15-20 minutes from boiling but will vary depending on how soft you want the rice to be. If necessary add more water. If there is too much water cook without the lid for a few minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Leave for a few minutes with the lid on then serve with a spoonful of ghee.