Puran - Filling
• ½ cup mung dal (washed)or chick pea dal (chana dal)
• ½ cup jaggery/raw sugar or brown sugar or mixed half white and half brown sugar
• 4 pinch cardamon powder
Optional: coconut, nutmeg or cocoa powder
1. Boil mung dal in one cup of water for 10 minutes or until cooked.
2. Continue cooking until all the water has evaporated (5-10 minutes). Add the sugar and continue cooking until thick. The mixture will be very thick like a spread. Cool.
3. Add cardamom or any other ingredients.
Poli - bread
• 1 cup wheat flour
• 1 tsp oil
1. Mix both ingredients.
2. Add water to make a dough. Add another tsp of oil and knead it into the dough. Leave for at least one hour or more (2 hours) so that the dough becomes more elastic.
3. Make 1 inch balls of Puran/filling and place in 1 inch balls of dough by flattening the dough. Pinch the dough around the filling.
4. Flatten the dough to ½ cm thick rounds.
5. Cook on a hot pan with little ghee.
6. Serve with more ghee.