- 2 cups cooked mashed vegetables such as carrot, pumpkin, potato, spinach, tomato etc or a combination. Cooked lentils can also be added.
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup mung dal flour - or chick pea flour etc
- 1/2 tsp mustard sds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander pdr
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 7-8 curry leaves
- Pinch asafoetida
- 2 - 3 Tbsp oil
- Sugar (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the dough of wheat and mung dal flour by adding a tsp of oil and enough water to make a firm dough.
- Heat a tsp of the oil, then add mustard seeds. When they pop add the ginger, cumin, coriander, asafoetida, curry leaves and sugar.
- Add the mashed vegetables and mix together.
- Roll the vegetable mixture into balls and place in the middle of a ball of dough. Pinch the dough around the mixture.
- Carefully roll the dough in a circular or trianglular shape.
- Cook on a tawa or frying pan with some of the oil for a few minutes on each side.
* This is a basic paratha recipe. Remember you can use any vegetables and can vary the spices according to your taste. The most popular parathas recipes in the ashram are the potato parathas and carrot parathas.
Back to Recipe Menu