- ¼ cup toor or mung dal
- ½ cup vegetables – sliced (carrots, potato, cauliflower, drumstick, etc.)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2 tomatoes - chopped
- Lemon or tamarind to taste (or ½ - 1tsp tamarind paste)
- Jaggery to taste
- ½ salt or to taste
- Sambhar masala (see Masala section, use one load)
- Coriander leaves
- Fresh or dried coconut
- Boil together toor dal and vegetables in a pressure cooker 15-20 minutes (1 whistle) or in a pot.
- In a separate pan heat oil and add cumin seeds, ginger and curry leaves. Add tomatoes and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add sambhar masala mixture and vegetable dal mixture.
- Boil together for a minute and then and add tamarind or lemon, jaggery and salt. Boil for 2-3 more minutes. Garnish with coconut and coriander
*Can add chilli if desired.
Back to Recipe Menu